[BC] cell phone hash

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed May 4 18:05:22 CDT 2005

On 3 May 2005 at 17:29, Bernie Courtney wrote:

> hmmm...come to think of it every time that i have flown i've had my
> nextel powered on and two way pager in my bag powered on as well.
> Needless to say we didn't crash :)

That was the point. It only takes once, and except for
catastrophic mechanical failure that is extremely rare,
most aircraft "accidents" are the result of a failure
chain including a significant error by the fight crew.
Anything having to do with navigation and terrain
clearance falls into this category.

In the case of a cell phone, it would take spurs from
your cell such as might develop during negotiation and/or
ring, plus an entry point such as poor aircraft antenna
cable shielding AND inattention by the flight deck crew
so that they relied on an indication they should have
known was false, had they been paying attention. Secondly,
this only applies when you are arriving or departing "in
the soup."

If it's what pilots call "severe clear" or even partly
cloudy, I wouldn't be concerned if all the cells in the
plane were on.

Phil Alexander, CSRE
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037