[BC] cell phone hash browns

Jeff Allen jallen
Wed May 4 12:17:30 CDT 2005

That would be about a 3,000 foot tall building roughly.  Hope it's not near
an airport.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Keen" <keenjm at muohio.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:08 AM
Subject: RE: [BC] cell phone hash browns

250 story building?....a new record..

Jim Keen
Chief Engineer
WMUB NPR 88.5
Miami University
Oxford, OH
(513) 529-1282
keenjm at muohio.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Scott Cason
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 1:01 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] cell phone hash browns

>>Same experiences for me in NYC and in Chicago on the Sears tower. And
wonder if that's due to illuminating too many sites *or* if it's because
cell site antennas are mostly downward pointed, leaving less or little
signal at higher elevations.

I think that would be the latter, Kirk.  The beam tilt on cell sites assumes
people are using them below the antenna.  If you look at some of the antenna
clusters, you can see the mechanical tilt.  I had the same problem in
downtown Louisville at the 102.3 transmitter site on top of a 250 story
building.  If I stood halfway between the elevator motor and my transmitter
with the door to the roof open in front of me, standing on my left foot and
patting my head, my Nextel would find enough signal to work.  Anywhere else
and it was dead.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC