[BC] Transformer conditioning

gRAdy Moates lists
Wed May 4 11:44:15 CDT 2005

> It is normal for these open-frame transformers to have moisture in the
> windings.

    I saw a transformer go for just this reason when the station was taken
dark for a year, and then the new owner wanted to turn the transmitter
on during the due diligence.

    It never occurred to me that a new transformer might have this problem.

    This, however, brings up the subject of all the old rigs that sit around
for a while in "backup" service and don't get much exercise.

    Then there's the open-frame 480/240 step-down I'm just about to
turn on at a new site with a new transmitter.  It's a used one, and has
been sitting in storage for 5 - to - 10 years.  Guess I better crank up
a space heater for a few days, huh?

Grady