[BC] cell phone hash

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed May 4 09:37:34 CDT 2005

On 3 May 2005 at 16:08, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> At 03:40 PM 5/3/2005, Kirk Harnack wrote
> >Mark Humphrey wrote:
> >>I had always thought the bigger problem with using cell phones while
> >>in flight was that they could hit too many cell sites simultaneously,
> >>causing interference or erratic operation.  That's why I'm surprised
> >>there is talk of relaxing the current restrictions .
> >
> >Mark, you're right.  I'm not sure if cell phone are likely to interfere
> >with properly-working avionics, but a single cell phone will, indeed,
> >illuminate many cell sites.
>
>          That may be true, but wouldn't software be
>          a simple solution, picking *one* site to
>          communicate?  Otherwise the "hand-off"
>          wouldn't work on terrestrial sites... and
>          there would be constant confusion at the
>          edges of each cell's coverage.

Doesn't illumination impose a software overhead even though the site
is not in communication with the phone? With phones on the surface
this contention only (in most cases) happens briefly with one adjacent
cell, but if illuminated from above, I'd think you'd have a bunch of
cells chattering back and forth trying to decide which one had the
best signal and would therefore be the communicating link.

Phil Alexander, CSRE
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037