[BC] cell phone hash

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Tue May 3 17:18:55 CDT 2005

I had always thought the bigger problem with using cell phones while in flight was that they could hit too many cell sites simultaneously, causing interference or erratic operation.  That's why I'm surprised there is talk of relaxing the current restrictions .

One of my transmitter sites is on the top floor of the tallest building in Philadelphia and my phone (T-Mobile GSM) has major problems up there, at a mere 850 feet AGL.

Of course, the big problem with FM broadcast receivers is leakage from the local oscillator, which would operate as high as 118.6 (when tuned to 107.9) and possibly interfere with navaids.

Here's an interesting paper I just found while searching for more on this subject:
http://www.bluecoat.org/reports/Helfrick_96_PED.pdf

Mark

Phil Alexander <dynotherm at earthlink.net> wrote:
In THEORY it can't happen BUT that assumes 100% shielding in the coax
run inside the plane and perfect grounding of the avionics packages.

We, of all people, should know how often that doesn't exactly work out
according to plan.