[BC] XETRA revisited

Scott Fybush scott
Tue May 3 15:38:10 CDT 2005

At 03:35 PM 5/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:

> >As I recall, the AM was 4 towers, one negative. Two patterns. The night
> >pattern pulled the signal toward the coastline. I remember people in Yuma
> >complaining about us disappearing after the pattern change.The transmitter
> >was a Continental 317, Serial #1 and the auxiliary was a GE.
>
>690 is a Canadian clear channel, with Mexico having secondary rights.
>
> >From archive data ...
>

>Canadian: Class I-A, CBF, Montreal, PQ
>
>Old radiator: 409.6 Mv/m/kW at 1 km, ND-2 (G probably about 200)
>
>Present radiator: 364.1 Mv/m/kW at 1 km, ND-2 (G probably about 175)

And it bears noting here that CBF is gone and has been for five years now,
having moved to FM.

The current occupant of 690 at Montreal is CINF, which operates with 50 kW
DA-1 from two towers of the former CIQC-600 array at Kahnawake, Quebec,
south of Montreal. The pattern is a broad kidney-bean that nulls the U.S.
border and maximizes radiation towards Montreal. The data reported to the
FCC, which may or may not be accurate, shows 2000 mV/m at 1 km, which works
out to 40 mV/m/kW. I don't know that I believe that, but the Kahnawake
towers are far shorter than the old CBF tower at Brossard, Quebec, and
certainly less efficient. CBF used to be a reliable daytime signal here in
Rochester, some 400 miles to the southwest, but CINF barely registers here.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that 690 is a Canadian clear and
protected as such, but it does mean that U.S. stations on 690, especially
in the east, are getting less interference now from CINF than they used to
from CBF.