[BC] cell phone hash

Barry Mishkind barry
Tue May 3 12:11:37 CDT 2005

At 09:41 AM 5/3/2005, Kirk Harnack wrote
e cupholder next to the XM receiver, I can hear three short bursts of
>>"hash" followed by a long one, then the phone rings.  I can also hear it
>>when it's checking in with a new cell site.  After I figured out it was the
>>phone, I started keeping it further away from the dashboard.
>
>And we wonder why we're asked to switch our cell phones OFF on commercial
>flights.  This kind of hash can really affect reception of Amplitude
>Modulated ILS and VOR signals, no?

         A very good question.  I hear
         stories both ways.  I see a lot
         of cell phones left on ... and
         no planes have crashed.

         I do see a lot of cell phones on
         and idiots shouting to their
         friends and family ...

         Oh ... could we have a "cone of silence"
         installed in the overhead racks?