[BC] BE FM plate xfmr short

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Mon May 2 19:07:38 CDT 2005

I am making this inquiry on behalf of a friend in another market.  He has a
BE FM35T with 3 phase closed-delta power service.  He has surge protection,
but I don't know the particulars.  The TX was new in March 2000.  In March
2004, the plate transformer shorted (not sure whether primary or secondary).
No other problems.  A few days ago, the replacement plate transformer
developed shorted turns (output voltage low and heating).  There appear to
be no other problems upstream or downstream of the plate transformer.  The
brand of the transformer appears to be "SNC".  I am not familiar with that
brand.

Has anyone on the list experienced similar problems with these transformers?
Is this likely a bizarre coincidence?  Or...is there some other probable
source that is causing these failures?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Peterson, K?CX
Rushmore Radio Co., LLC