[BC] Scattered thoughts about the job...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Sun Jul 31 09:56:02 CDT 2005

The following are some of my scattered thoughts based on what I have seen
and experienced in radio and TV.

I don't thinks it's as satisfying to simply swaps boards as it was when we
had the time and facilities to repair down to the component level.  I think
it was more satisfying when you could do that.  The time to do that is
seldom available plus it's not practical to keep the myriad of components
on hand plus it's difficult to find them in the local store if such a store
even exists nearby.  We live in different times and to some degree, a
different industry.  It's no longer the technical side of show
business.  However, this is certainly not the main issue or problem.

I remember when the typical station's Chief Engineer was a very respected,
knowledgeable member of the staff and his word was not questioned.  He was
considered to have the best interests of the station at heart.  I rarely
see that now.

I see "chief engineers" that are no more than handymen, scapegoats that
have no knowledge of the technical side of the business and in all reality
should not be allowed in the front door.  This is because no self
respecting knowledgeable will accept the job, the pay, and its headaches.

What I perceive as the real issue in our industry's workplace is that the
engineer is seldom treated as a worthwhile person.  They are generally
treated as a "necessary evil" at best.  "Burn them out and then get another
one".  I know of many situations where individuals are over worked, 12+
hours per day, expected to accomplish their assigned tasks and are not
allowed to put in for any overtime.  I think that to a small degree this
would be more palatable if the engineers were at least treated with
demonstrative respect.

What I see as a most amazing fact is how little a knowledgeable (employee)
engineer's advice is generally accepted.  Of course there are exceptions
but they are indeed the exceptions to the rule.  When I see a really
knowledgeable engineer being truly mistreated I suggest that they get out
on their own.  That's easier said than done but it is doable if they have
or can develop the business sense.  Quite often the same person coming back
from the outside is considered to be much more knowledgeable and their
advice is generally treated as good advice.  Management is much more
willing to accept this advice for a handsome fee than they were when they
had it essentially for free.  Is it because they are now paying handsomely
for it?  I've experienced this and have seen it quite often.

This various issues have been described over and over on this and other
lists.  We all know the stories.  I don't know the real answer but it is
more than just education of a manager or PD.  It will need to be an
attitude change of the industry which I am sorry to say, I don't see
forthcoming.  De-regulation driven by the dollar has fostered much of the
problem.  The problems will continue until there is some kind of an
attitude adjustment and as long as the present attitude is accepted and as
long as there are those willing to work under these condition.

Burt

At 04:02 PM 7/30/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?
>
>Mike wrote:
>
> >I love radio and what I do. Radio just doesn't
> >seem to be as much fun as it used to be.
>
>Several people told me that.  Any theories about why it's not as much
>fun?  I know in some cases, owners have changed or there is more pressure
>on an engineer or he/she is expected to maintain a cluster of stations...
>but I'd think it would be somewhat easier to do the work these days--
>aren't some pieces of equipment easier to fix than they used to be years ago?

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.
biwa at earthlink.net