[BC] re: How Engineers Oughta Look

Jeff Johnson jjohnson
Sat Jul 30 14:27:41 CDT 2005

>Again, up to the individual. What one defines as 'decent clothing' is as
>subjective
>as which audio processor sounds best or loudest.
>
>Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE

A professional appearance has a great deal to do with body type and the
climate - social and environmental. If one is a 300# Texas chowhound, a
custom tailored suit is probably the only choice. Hiding their body under a
$1200 suit might work. For those who have kept themselves in shape, men and
women each, attire that fits well and is stylish and color coordinated wins
the day (I know - that is a challenge to a gearhead). When I was visiting a
family friend in Hawai'i (the girl her mother and mine thought I ought to
marry), Nancy told me that in the Islands a fine Hawi'ian shirt is
appropriate for even formal occasions. Same in the Philippines and other
hot climates I understand.

'Proper' attire is all so often a function of place and time. A toga in the
US Senate would be ludicrous. It comes down to an acknowledgement that one
knows what one is doing by understanding and conforming to the customs in
place. Now a creative person can do something completely different if he or
she cares to. It is called trend setting!

Jeff.Johnson at goodnews.net