[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Cowboy curt
Sat Jul 30 08:16:44 CDT 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 01:49, Donna Halper wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> >I love radio and what I do. Radio just doesn't
> >seem to be as much fun as it used to be.
>
> Several people told me that.  Any theories about why it's not as much
> fun?

 The snowball fights in the hallways, watching the afternoon guy fight
 with the evening guy, the perks that GOOD stations would provide,
 like tickets to sold out events, the station helocopter, lighting the
 newsmans copy on fire, the Christmas party, flirting with the pretty
 jock that did evenings, throwing the dummy off the top of a 500 foot tower,
 just as the "boss" drove in, ( and the guy dressed EXACTLY the same as
 the dummy crawling out of the bushes, brushing himself off, saying
 "Man, I HATE it when that happens", and heading up the tower,
 all seem to be relics of days of yore...

 Now, it's mostly corporate suits, and suit wannabe's.
 Mostly, but not all.

> I know in some cases, owners have changed or there is more pressure
> on an engineer or he/she is expected to maintain a cluster of stations...
> but I'd think it would be somewhat easier to do the work these days--
> aren't some pieces of equipment easier to fix than they used to be years
> ago?

 Yes, and no, mostly just different.

On Friday 29 July 2005 21:49, Ron Cole wrote:
> Tom, You made me laugh.
>
> A long long time ago I was working in a small market when the new
> Station GM came in one evening around 7pm and made some comment to me
> about my work and if I did not straighten up I was going to be gone.
> I told her I was working there when she was hired and I would still be
> there after she was  gone!  . . .  Some 11 years after she was fired for
> poor sales and low ratings.  I left that company for the cellular
> business.

 One or two on this list may remember this incident.
 A certain GM wanted my cell number, and for various reasons I refused to
 give it to him.
 I'ld be there ALL weekend, my hotel was less than 1 mile away, he had a reputation
 for running cell batteries dead, etc. etc.
 He handed me his phone, with the statement " The Corp. VP wants to talk to YOU !"
 I took his phone, placed it to my ear, and said...
 "John, I'm a little busy right now." and hung up on the VP.
 The look on that GM's face was priceless !
 Fallout ? Nope.
 Most know, that if I tell 'em I'm too busy, it means THEIR revenue stream is what's
 at stake.
 Nearly all people that really count, know what's really important, and what's not.

 Radio still has some fun moments !