[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Fred Morton radioguy
Sat Jul 30 07:02:52 CDT 2005

Since my last full time station changed hands over 8 years ago, I've done full time contracting and have had few regrets. The hours are generally better, the pay excellent, and the opportunities for professional growth many and varied.

There are times when I miss being a part of a staff with whom I interact on a daily basis, and I hate the hassle of dealing with health insurance, now that I'm a self employed contractor.

Other than those two items, I'd say going contract was one of the smarter things I've done.

Another thing I've found beneficial is to have ownership interests in several broadcast properties, which will (hopefully) take the place of any 401K retirement plan I would have participated in were I employed full time. Companies come and go (one of my clients' stations just changed hands-again!) but if you take care of your own future, you're ahead of the game, IMHO.

Fred R. Morton, CSRE
Advanced Class WB5KRD
Houston, Texas
281-923-7100 Voice