[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Jeff Johnson jjohnson
Fri Jul 29 11:16:27 CDT 2005

At 12:39 PM 7/28/2005, Donna Halper wrote:
>  do you feel your station's management treats you with respect?

It is an interesting situation here at WVXU/X-Star Radio Network. Our last
day as Xavier University's broadcast service is ending August 21.
Cincinnati Classical Public radio/WGUC is taking over that midnight. My job
ends at that time.

Yes, our department has been well respected. Our former boss, Dr. Jim King,
was a closet engineer, and we were second to no one in the organization.
Our CE has been  on the 'troika' top management team.

>Do you feel your role has changed over the past few years, and if so, has
>it changed for the better or not?

My role has been, in the majority, at the IT end (ENCO system and the
office LAN and workstations). However, I have done a portion of the
network's climbing, air conditioning and other real estate related work,
transmitter work, a good deal of the department's paperwork (I'm Chief
Operator but Dave Stuart does all the logging BLESS him!), also the bulk of
the digital studio equipment work over the years.

In August I will return to contract work as 'RFPROOF.COM'. I will be
involved in the same range of work - most everything - for public radio
stations in the greater Cincinnati area.

>I realise some of you may not wanna talk about your boss (I can disguise
>names for the article, if necessary!) and I am not trying to create a
>giant gripe session-- but I am seriously interested in what your
>perception is of the broadcast engineering profession today:  would you
>want your son or daughter to become a radio engineer?

Working with Dr. Jim King, Jay Crawford, CE, and Dave Stuart has been premium.

My nephew Zach is interested in electronics at 10. I am encouraging him.
Broadcast engineering is fascinating due to its breadth. I can climb
towers, fiddle with transmitters, tweak LAN servers, edit audio files, and
paint TX shacks. What a life! ... and I mean it!

Jeff.Johnson at goodnews.net
RFPROOF.COM (wait for the website)