[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Cowboy curt
Fri Jul 29 06:01:32 CDT 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 12:39, Donna Halper wrote:

> Soooo, I'd be interested to get the opinions of list members on the subject
> of being a radio engineer today--

 Nothing I'ld rather do.
 I do, and have for a couple decades, consider myself extremely lucky
 to be able to "play" with one of my hobbies, and get PAID for doing it !

> for example, do you feel your station's
> management treats you with respect?

 Well, not having a "station" probably makes a difference.
 In most cases, yes, but I'm far more often in the role of consultant
 than staff engineer.
 There's one who treats others with somewhat less respect than should be
 the case, but he treats everyone that way, so just consider the source.
 The checks are still good.

 It's also true, that when I do run into an a$$, it'll be over in a few weeks,
 so that individual doesn't matter anyway, as long as the check is good.
 ( but as long as there's an FCC license involved, the check WILL be good,
 one way or another ... )

 It's amazing the little irritants that are just amusing, when one knows that
 it will make no difference whatever in a few weeks.

>  Do you feel your role has changed over
> the past few years,

 Absolutely ! Advancing technology has provided many more toys !

> and if so, has it changed for the better or not?

 Neither better, nor worse. Just different.
 As long as one keeps up with tech ( or mostly so ) it stays new-ish,
 and that keeps it interesting.

 The TSA is sure putting a damper on things, though.
 I'm still considering becoming a frequent greyhounder instead.

> realise some of you may not wanna talk about your boss (I can disguise
> names for the article, if necessary!) and I am not trying to create a giant
> gripe session-- but I am seriously interested in what your perception is of
> the broadcast engineering profession today:  would you want your son or
> daughter to become a radio engineer?

 In the same way that I am, project contractor / consultant, yes. Sure.
 As long as one can manage money, and be comfortable being
 unemployed several weeks a year......
 ( I call it vacation, but it's unpaid time either way )