[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Fri Jul 29 01:56:58 CDT 2005

> Donna Halper wrote:
>
> > ...do you feel your station's management treats you with respect?

  You be the judge in at least one instance. The following link is to a
page that I am sincerely surprised to see is still on my main website as
I thought I had removed it long ago. It was written (and is based on) an
actual day in what I still like to call "Radio Hell". Sadly, almost
every day at this particular location was like this as I was maintaining
four stations full-time with NO assistance from anyone. In fact, during
those days, two of the the PD's (if asked to wait more than 10 minutes
for a repair) would actually break and destroy equipment in order to
gain "emergency repair status".

  OK, so the place is identified on the page. That was some six or seven
years ago. But, I stand by my statements of fact and will openly admit
that (if anyone can find anything on the page that is not fact because
they all are 100% factual) some of the claims are "not too flattering"
to say the least. But, every bit is documented and very factual.

  If you really want to hear some of "the good stuff", ask me about the
remote at which one of our PD's drove to the remote sight of a
competitor and threatened "bodily harm" (in full view of a crowd) to the
competitor's air staff simply because both station's happened to be
licensed to use the same RPU frequency (along with several others) and
nobody at our station WANTED to switch the (two frequency) Marti
transmitter to "channel 2" because "We were using that channel FIRST!"
(The competitor's remote had begun an hour earlier than ours so, it's
highly unlikely that our people were using the frequency FIRST.)

  Being fired (two weeks after our daughter's death) for "loss of
interest in the job" (possibly related to depression experienced due to
the death of a child?) was actually a RELIEF!!! I actually blurted out a
quick "Thank You" when called into the front office for the news.

  Anyway, for what it's worth:

http://www.monsterfm.com/engineering/day.html

  For an outside reference, the transmitter sites referenced on my site
are described on the following (unrelated and uncontrolled by me) pages
that were put up by a former engineer whom I have had no contact:

http://www.netfeed.com/~jhill/103KATM.htm

http://www.netfeed.com/~jhill/1033-katm-modesto.htm

http://www.netfeed.com/~jhill/104.htm

http://www.netfeed.com/~jhill/951.htm

  A lot of the stuff on the other guy's site is very political and I
cannot agree with a great deal (most) of it but, it does make for some
interesting reading!

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas)

(806) 256-1221