[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Gary Blau gblau
Thu Jul 28 22:59:37 CDT 2005

Donna Halper wrote:

> ...do you feel your station's management treats you with respect?

Absolutely.  But they expect professionalism and some business
perspective in return, and the constant challenge for a putz like me is
to deliver that.  I think these folks are one of the last few high class
operators left out there and I'm grateful.

> Do you feel your role has changed over the past few years?

Not really, just more tonnage on the plate.  It's always been an
"anything involving electrons" function, but the tech has changed more
in the last 7 years or so than it had in the prior 30, so the
expectations now cover a -much- wider range.  And post-consolidation
it's much harder to spend any deep time on things when distractions are
constant.  Quality slides in favor of quantity.  At least it feels that
way to this 50+ guy.

As for recommending the field to newcomers, (Lord knows we need some),
I'd say you have to have a really big passion for radio to sustain you
through the 80% BS that you will face along the route to enjoying the
20% that really turns you on.  But that's probably true of any gig.
Oh, yes, most engineers are underpaid for all they do.  That's not going
to change, so accept it going in or do something else.  There's a lot
more dough in other tech out there if that's what you're after.
It's a lifestyle, not a job.