[BC] IBOC in trouble?

Dan Dickey dldickey
Thu Jul 28 13:44:00 CDT 2005

I truly believe that this technology is already well understood.  The DSS
companies (e.g. Echostar & DirecTV) are doing it all the time and have been
for years.  There will come a day when a software defined portable radio is
the norm.  It's just too hard to predict what day that will be but I am
convinced it will happen.

SDR is inevitable if radio is ever going to catch up to the speed of
innovation in the digital world.  There are already examples of digital
broadcast systems that are not enjoying world wide adoption.  I believe it
is easily argued that if these systems were software defined they would be
adopted at a much faster rate because the uncertainty factor would not be an
issue.  There is so much concern about the rate of technology change that
many are afraid of adopting something that is obsolete almost before initial
deployment.  The ability to adapt the radio in the field without the
listener's active participation would make just about any system viable no
matter how bad it is from day one.

Best regards,
Dan Dickey