[BC] IBOC in trouble?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Jul 28 09:17:00 CDT 2005

The only possibility at the moment is via CD in a system that T-I (at
least I think it was T-I) has developed. However, it appears Ibiquity
wants to do two things in this regard.

1. Make their own chip with demod and codec on board with the full
digital component built in so DAB tech is permanently frozen and
Ibiquity is the sole owner.

2. Make their own chip so set makers will be forced to avoid the
multi-mode T-I chip that will demod HD, DRM etc.

Ibiquity wants to own radio and rent a little piece of it back to
the stations for a fee.

There is no technical reason a radio can't be built to receive
DRM+AAC as easily as it receives HD+HDC and do it transparently
to the listener.  IF the stream includes a codec ident.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037