[BC] death of portable radio

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Jul 28 08:47:40 CDT 2005

------ At 04:11 PM 7/27/2005, Scott Cason wrote: -------

>Everyone will just be listening to the portable XM and Sirius radios.

Not in my market, they won't. Western MA isn't worthy of terrestrial
transmitters. My portable receiver would only work outdoors. I have a
nice screened-in porch on the house. It's a great place to read the
newspaper, have a cold drink and listen to the radio. Unfortunately,
it has a roof. I have a SIRIUS portable (the unportable one). I have
to extend the antenna to where it sees the sky. I doubt the portable
antennas are less critical in requiring a clear path to the satellite.

>While the lawyers fight it out in court, XM and Sirius subscribers will be
>pushed over the 30 million mark by 2010.

Lawyers fighting in court won't have any effect on radio. It may
delay IBOC and save radio for a while. I think the false assumption
here is that radio needs IBOC. I also think it may be a false
assumption that satellite programming won't find itself subject to
the same complaints radio is hearing now. Not live. Not local.
Predictable. Blah. Blah. Blah. I've had both services for about 2
years. I find them becoming sterile versions of terrestrial radio and
don't listen as often as I used to.

That 30 million mark may be helped along by IBOC interference once
enough stations are online to irritate listeners enough to look for an option.

Predicting life and death in the entertainment industry isn't very accurate.

Rich