[BC] Re: IBOC in Trouble?

Mike McCarthy mre
Wed Jul 27 19:53:25 CDT 2005

> Sorry guys....i just can't sit here and ignor all of this - here are
> some points to ponder

OK...My turn...

On #6...I can't drive around listening because the the RX's aren't on
the market here locally. Hmmm. I realize that's in the pipeline to be
fixed. But for us, we can't justify the costs for HD if there are no
RX's and the stores think HD is only for TV. That's not to say
anything we buy will most certainly be usable with HD/IBOC when it
comes time.  But we are'nt going to bend over backwards being the
first, second or third to get make it happen.

Multi-casting may be the killer ap needed to give it shot in the arm.
But we have had that option for years with SCA's and did nothing.  We
now have that same chance with DRE and it appears that option may be a
bit late...too bad too.

On #7, if we (as an industry) simply lets the dust settle, we will
have been steam rolled by marketeers.  With all due respect Clay, I
simply will not let that happen to my stations/employer and clients or
the industry. This is VERY different than the wars of AM/FM and mono-
stereo. For AM it involves very factualy destroying 1st and 2nd
adjacent channel reception even if there is no short spacing. In
certain cases, it will be mutual and complete destruction of both
stations.  A complete loss of investment by one or the other station
as well as to the community which will loose a station.

On FM, we do have inerference on the 1st and 2nd adjacent channels
inside our 54dBu contours. We HAVE lost coverage to IBOC stations
operating on BOTH sides of one FM.

In C land where the 70 dBu goes something around 50 miles, that covers
the whole market in many places.  Our B 70dBu only goes 25 miles and
we're into blending before you get out of the close in metro.  Even
the 60 only reaches 75% of the whole metro market. So multi-casting is
really only going work reliably for less than 50% of our market.

I'm very much aware of the migration.  My head is not in the sand and
we are watching...  We simply choose to not be lemmings jumping over
the edge with everyone else at this point.

73...MM

> 6. Here in Seattle we now have 13 HD FM's and more on the way (and a
> couple multicasting).  We also have terrible terrain (worse than San
> Francisco i'm told).  I invite anyone to come here and choose a few
FM's
> without HD and those with....Drive around a while...and compare.
You