[BC] Death of portable radio

Clive Warner clive
Wed Jul 27 11:04:18 CDT 2005

> Then read this one by Jonathon Hardis of NIST, who, unlike Microsoft,
> has no dog in this race:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_documen
t=6518010460

> This is a tremendous piece of work that eclipses all the other filings
> on NRSC-5, and yet the online radio mags haven't even mentioned it.
> I wonder why...

This one (above) raises an issue I hadn't even considered.
I had noted for a while now, on another list, people complaining about the
fact there are no portable DAB receivers, only mains-operated models.
(Costing from $90 upwards)
It's my impression that the big 'boom years' in radio were a direct result
of the low-cost 'transistor radio' arriving on the scene.
Now how the hell are you going to be able to get a tiny Walkman type of
receiver viable with Digital technology, guys, running off a pair of AAA
cells? How long is *that* going to take?
In other words IBOC = the loss of all 'portable' radio. Your audience is
going to disappear!
- Clive