[BC] antennas & CW

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Jul 27 06:47:26 CDT 2005

In a message dated 07/26/2005 11:59:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBoone at earthlink.net writes:

> I love it!!! I sent it to a friend who has a similar large
>  collection of old gear (but this guy takes the cake....I love his Mafia
>  Staff Car :)  The antennas?? He MUST not be in a HOA controlled area (heck
>  if he has such an "estate", he probably has the bucks, esepcially in CA, to
>  afford as big a place as he could and not worry about such!)

My heart goes out to the guy's poor wife, though. He has all of that JUNQUE
in the *living space* of his house! Egads! My wife is a saint, but there's no
way she would ever tolerate *that*! (Nor would I ever ask her to do so.) My
Junque is confined to the basement (electronics shop & radios), and to one room
of the house. (Computer room, which is far neater than the basement.) The rest
of the house is just that... a *house*. :)

I have pics of my JUNQUE collection on my WEBsite. This guy's makes mine look
like nothing!
http://www.mymorninglight.org/junque/

As for that hideous tangle of wires and antennas... yeesh! It's no wonder the
neighbors are complaining! If the guy really has that much money, he should
move to somewhere where he can buy several acres, including a nice outbuilding
(or 2'nd house) and put all of the gear/antenna farm out there. With enough
$$$, he could even build an enclosed connector to the other house, so he
wouldn't even have to worry about bad weather.

As for the "no-Code" debate... I'll comment here, to save a little bandwidth.

All I can say is that over the years, 99.5% of the ones I have heard using
foul language and acting like uncouth CB'ers, were the 13WPM and up guys on HF.
I could leave a scanner running on the local repeaters for hours on end, day
in and day out, not hearing a single foul word. (Only an occasional jammer, but
that's usually brief.) Although it has been cleaned-up *dramatically* from
what it was 10-12 years ago, HF is where the obscenities are heard, the
long-term jamming, and other rudeness ensues. Used to be that I couldn't even listen
to HF for more than 5 minutes, without hearing all kinds of foul crud. Back in
the early-mid 90's, No-Code Techs were on the repeaters, and everything was
"family friendly". HF was a cesspool. *Whoooo* was ruining Ham Radio? Certainly
not the No-Coders!

Thanks to Riley Hollingsworth for making a dent in the HF crud, and may his
tribe increase! Perhaps when the Code requirement is totally dropped, all of
those *nice guys* from the repeaters will begin to "push out" the foul-mouthed
curmudgeons on HF. Time is on our side, and they will eventually, literally,
die-off, leaving plenty of room for the "good guys" to take over.

That's my 2c worth.

Willie...
N1NKM