RANT MODE Re: [BC] Convention Costs

Mike McCarthy mre
Tue Jul 26 19:17:14 CDT 2005

Hi Barry,

Let me say this, these silly ass outragous gouging costs for bottled
water and food are really bad (even to me) and will ultimately kill
the golden goose conventions bring. Same thing for other "services"
which are convenience in nature to those willing to pay whatever.

One thing which many folks don't see/understand are the costs needed
to sustain transient operations in a fixed location. With conventions
openly active/operating only 10 days a month at best, fixed
infrastructure is there all 30 days and <those> costs needs to be
recouped.

Internet access...

If there is a DS3 at $1000/mo, which then gets broken out to mux
equipment (at say $12K. capital annually) So you have 26 T-1's
amortized to about $500/year.  Divide the muxing and other hardware to
around $1K/mo. and you have around $100/mo. per T-1 in outside costs
and amortization (including nominal taxes.) So assume two shows/month
and each is around $50 in fixed costs.  Double that for some profit
and equipment maintenance. Then add $100 in hard labor to cross
connect and test at the booth. Then add the costs needed to INSTALL
the cables in the ducts...which is many thousands of dollars.  Then
add the cost to sustain operation during the show and repair/replace
things such as CSU's busted/broken/lost during the course of assembly
or dismantlement.

Then add on the "custom" nature of most exhibits and how they are
treated/connected and you have a reasonable idea of why costs can get
a bit high. I can see charging up to $500 to connect up a T-1 and for
service during the show.  Several $$$ <a day> is to me outrageous.

As for W-Fi...that's another animal which doesn't have the final
distribution costs hard-wired booths have, nor the fixed dedicated
bandwidth affored by a dediciated T-1. So, charging exhibitors $$$/day
for WiFi is rediculous.

I will agree that there are a LOT of areas which there could/should be
some reduction in really silly work/house rules.  But most of them are
the result of an incident with an exhibitor or attendee who got hurt
or something else and needed cleaning up by management (either show or
house).

MM