RANT MODE Re: [BC] Convention Costs

Mike McCarthy mre
Tue Jul 26 14:49:33 CDT 2005

Being my family is in that trade (two generations running contracting
operations like GES) and I spent 10 years doing trade shows at various
places including McCormick Place, I need to comment.

The contractors don't make a killing. No one makes a killing except
certian trades. The true killing aspect of all this is the timelines
show management and halls expect labor to move shows in and out. Every
tradeshow regardless of size has limitations on venue times and
access. We go in as soon as we can, and get out as soon as possible.
Usually 2-3 days after the public doors close.  That's calender
days...not business days of 8-4:30.

THAT'S a LOT of OT which is paid to labor of any type regardless of
union affilation or independence. We need to move everything in AND
out during that time line. The hall MUST be clear of all property and
broom clean before the next show starts move-in.  Think about that for
a minute...broom clean on 3Million sq. ft.

The fact the carpet is so high is due mostly to the fact contractor
needs to be sure their INVERSTMENT in both the time and materials are
covered. It needs to be handled/moved twice as well as cleaned after
each show.  Sometimes the carpet is trashed after one show. So there's
a total loss in that regards. Also, quite frankly, carpet is a PIA.
So it's priced to discourage the typcial exhibitor from using the
contractor supplied carpet.

Truth be told, we would prefer that exhibitors bring their own
furniture as we then don't need to try and match up standard expo fare
to booths designed by some interior designer who hasn't set foot on a
convention floor.

The electricans at McCormick have taken it on the chin...and rightly
so for some of the costs the house charges and for some of their
practices. BUT, there is a point to the house RULES on electrical
cords. Many of the practices employed by the unions in general have
changed greatly in the past 5 years.

As for electrical cords, I am 100% behind house rules which
require "SO" grade 600V neophrene covered flexible cord for anything
which supplies power to equipment in the booth. Including running
cables under carpet. I have personally seen events which could have
been catastrophic if the cable had not been SO cable.

Sorry Ernie, but I disagree with your whole premise about using a flat
cord under carpet.  It is a hazard and if I see something like that
going under carpet, the fire marhsall is notified.

Las Vegas is going to see the writing on the wall that Chicago and NY
have given to their trades. It's only a matter of time.  LV is even
more dependant on conventions than Chicago. So the loss of any shows
will hit the pocketbook far faster than in Chicago.

Freight is another area which Chicago has addressed the issue.  In
many cases, the show now accepts the Teamsters labor and the cost to
move freight into the hall is built into the space fees.  They've also
loosened the rules on how much an exhibotr can bring in on their own.

Bottom line, Chicago's convention practices are far different from
what they were even 5 years ago.  If NAB came back here, I think they
would be surpised at how much it has changed for the better.

MM

> I know in Vegas you have to use house electricians to run wires
under
> carpet.
>
> There are safety issues so I understand that reasoning. We cut cost
by
> purchasing our own flat extension cords with mounded plugs.  They
paid for
> themselves the first year we used them VS renting them for like $50
each.

> The other expense of the shows which the CC has no control over is
the show
> contractor. With GES in Las Vegas our Drayage from the loading dock
to the
> booth and back is more than the cost to transport the equipment from
NY to