[BC] Convention Costs

Barry Mishkind barry
Tue Jul 26 14:33:16 CDT 2005

I should really add that many of these costs come from political forces on
the local city council.

For example, because convention attenders are usually not-local people, the
city councils often see these visitors as a cash cow.

Hence you see, on top of the sales taxes, special "room taxes," rental car
taxes, fees for car rental agencies to be at the airport (which is passed
on), and other fees and taxes, added upon taxes.

Here in Tucson,  they decided to fund one local boondoggle by putting a
nightly tax on RV spaces.

Of course, since there was no "convention" to force RVers to stay, the word
went out the grapevine and local RV parks lost a lot of business.

If you look around this adding of fees and taxes to everything in sight is
a sad trend of our times as politicians seek ever greater piles of money to
pay government workers.