[BC] No-code Amateur license

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp
Mon Jul 25 22:08:51 CDT 2005

>[Kent:] Efficient is fine, but CW still offers the ability to get a signal
>through when most other modes cannot.

Plus, it facilitates QSOs between ops not sharing a common fluent language,
through prosigns and by making dictionary reference easier (though I
presume digital modes offer this same advantage today). This cross-language
intelligibility at least partly explains CW's unexpected extra decades of
life on the marine bands.

I was intrigued by the QRP counterculture that emerged in the seventies, it
looked like real fun. Like cross-country vs. Alpine skiing, or bicycling
vs. motorcycling. But I got sidetracked with a modem and TRS-80 and never
got into it.

>[Rich:] If my experience is representative, moving this to AF would so
>overwhelm the heated religious threads ...

The Church of ZUT demands equal standing!

[Re restrictive covenants:] Could painting hamtennas forest green and/or
sky blue mitigate the visual impact sufficiently to placate neighbors? Or
would paint damage or flake off of Fiberglas antennas? I've seen blue used
very effectively on the smokestacks of Seattle City Light's Lake Union
steam plant.