[BC] Re: Florida Pirates why?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Mon Jul 25 17:24:57 CDT 2005

we had a pirate around here last year.  On 87.9 as i recall.  signal was
DFed to a house in the town next to mine.  tripod, mast and vertical ant. on
roof.  Judging by the range and height, we guessed he was running around 100
w.   He'd fire up on Fri. night and transmit music until Mon. morning.   I
learned that it is possible to buy all the gear needed for a pirate FM
station on ebay.   It's all run with a PC.  They must fill up the hard disk
with mp3 files and let 'er rip.  Anyway, one of the local hams phoned this
one in, and he was taken off the air eventually.

Rob Atkinson

From: "R J Carpenter" <rcarpen at erols.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] Re: Florida Pirates why?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:22:28 -0400

One of the possible reasons for so many pirates in Florida is that the
state is long and wide - thus there are fewer directions from which
other stations are heard.

I've found what I think is a pirate on 91.9 in the Lauderdale area.
The nearest stations in CDBS are C3s at 117 and 136 miles.  We all
know that first-adjacents don't cause problems - even the FCC assigned
some in the DC/Balto area.

Is it my radio or is 107.5 Miami really W_I_D_E ?

bob c.

http://www.radiolists.net/