[BC] Code useless? - was No-code Amateur license

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Mon Jul 25 16:47:37 CDT 2005

Last night I talked to a guy on 20 meters phone who was on hwy 1 in the Fla.
Keys.  He and his wife were driving home to Ft. Lauderdale following dinner
at a restaurant on one of the Keys.  He was in a Corvette with a screwdriver
antenna on the rear of the car.  He was loud up here (all that salt water I
guess.)  I had 200 w. to a vertical.  I quizzed him on what he had for
dinner, the kind of place they went to and so on.  We could have probably
talked on cell phones.  Maybe it's my age, but there's something about an
experience such as that, that I still find exciting, even with all the
newfangled technology.  Gotta love that ionosphere.

Rob Atkinson

From: "Gary Peterson" <kzerocx at rapidcity.net>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] Code useless? - was No-code Amateur license
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:03:17 -0600

I still use CW, from time to time.  I have every DXCC country confirmed.
This was not possible without quite a few being worked on CW.  I have many
close in states/grid squares confirmed that were worked during 6 meter
auroras.  Often, the Doppler flutter is so severe as to make other modes
unusable.  It is also thrilling to talk to someone thousands of miles away,
using a homebuilt H.F. transmitter, powered by a few dry batteries.