[BC] Re: No-code Amateur license

Cowboy curt
Mon Jul 25 10:22:29 CDT 2005

On Monday 25 July 2005 10:33, R J Carpenter wrote:
> I haven't been following this thread in detail, which makes me fully
> qualified to comment.

 ;-)

> No-code licensing is an effort to increase the NUMBER of hams.
> "People" realize that in the political DC world, numbers of people
> (potential voters) are what counts.  Lowering of standards is not a
> concern since no politico could evaluate them anyway. Large numbers of
> hams of any quality help keep our bands.

 OK. I'll buy that, though I'm not sure it's a good thing.

> The code isn't the only thing discouraging new hams.  In my county*,
> AFAIK no subdivision started within the past 40 years allows antennas.

 I remember a HUGE court battle, started by a certain "radio personality"
 in an cleveland suburb.

 His point was that the junk yard in the sky looked so bad, it depressed
 property values, and he was right.
 It looked SO bad, when it hit the TV news, it was embarrasing to almost
 every amateur that new about it.

 He lost the case, though, on Federal pre-emption.
 Precident exists to argue that localities can not restrict amateur antennae !

 Methinks that should one wish to push it, the subdivision would lose.