[BC] copper

Clive Warner clive
Sun Jul 24 11:34:48 CDT 2005

>> Certainly 2Mb/s is available over copper; to go much faster than that
will
>> involve extending fibre to the consumer's residence . . .
Ron commented:
>  I get 4.8 mb/s down over copper coax. (cable)  The modem is rated at
about
>35 mb/s I am told.

By 'copper wire' telephone service I did not mean coaxial cable, I meant the
usual plain old pair of wires dangling in the air or trailing along the
wall. Honestly I think getting 2MB/s out of that is pretty good.
Especially when I recall how far (not very) my first home-made telephone
went.
One of the things I teach my students is a project in which they have to
make an Edison-Bell type working phone from tin cans and graphite pencils.
Surprisingly difficult to make an adequate carbon microphone.
Clive