[BC] Re: Antenna matching and Hams

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sun Jul 24 01:23:23 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/24/05 12:01:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< Don't forget that when you vary the length of an antenna
 element you also alter its radiation pattern. Also bear in
 mind that while it is possible to match low resistance
 radiators to a transmission line, such radiators are
 inherently inefficient due to ground loss resistance.

 Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE >>

Right on, Tom!  A dummy load is a good example of a great match but a poor
radiator:-) I did not want to get into those details because that was not the
main point I was making. The point was, why does an argument about matching an
antenna indicate if a person is inherently a bad operator? Or pick any other
theory topic.

There are lots of ways a new ham can be very valuable to the local ham
community without being a theory expert. I happen to adore theory, but that's just
me. Maybe the ham across the street from me is Theory Challenged, but is an
absolutely wonderful motivator and organizer (hamfests, skywarn drills, etc.) and
can therefore function as a valuable asset.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
WB9ETG since 1970