[BC] open wire

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Sat Jul 23 22:45:46 CDT 2005

good heavens, i wonder what on earth a 100 kw ferrite balun looks like?

rob atkinson

From: "Clive Warner" <clive at citiria.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] open wire
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:53:11 -0500

 >Paul J poked his head on line a
 >week or two ago and I wonder if he or Ted have any pictures that they
would
 >be willing to send to Barry of that impressive plant.  Clive, our 'British
 >Cousin' should have some of his pictures somewhere if he hadn't traded
them
 >off for a little gin and tonic in the out bush!

Actually I came across one or two the other week, from Niger, which is in
the news just now because of the terrible starvation there. Standing on the
back of a pickup balancing an OIB on the roof while measuring a feeder. I
managed to match them well enough despite being useless with a Smith Chart.
The client decided to keep the open wire feeder and install a 100 KW ferrite
balun instead to match the unbal/50 from the Telefunken TX to the 300/bal
open wires. (Madness but what the client wants, he gets)
Very few of my sites had open wire. The BBC short-waver at Skelton did in
the early days, but unfortunately I don't have any photos from that long
ago. Later it was modernised and all the channels, some 19 transmitters,
were on coaxial feeders with pneumatic switches for selecting, reversing and
slewing. But I will take a look.
- Clive

http://www.radiolists.net/