[BC] Re: Franklin Networks

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Jul 22 16:09:11 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/22/05 2:58:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

Am I  missing something?  Why couldnt they motorize the network and
remotely adjust it?

*******************

In the old WOAI Franklin,  since gone away,  I believe Mr, Jeffus  had
motorized controls on the network at the mid point.  It was written in  the IRE
Broadcast Proceedings in the laate '50's or early '60's. I also  seem to recall
that tower had two sample loops one in the top section and one in  the bottom
section.   I do recall visiting the site when the 50 kW CEC  317B was in the
same room with the TV4 transmitter.  The AM tower was about  a half mile away
with open wire between the AM/TV transmitter building to a  small building at the
base of the AM tower about the size of a single car  garage, with a 3-1/8"
rigid line up to a concrete platform at the sectionalized  point where a
building slight larger than an outhouse (chem can for any  yuppies)  terminated the
transmission line and fed the tower.  I wish  I could find a copy of that IRE
proceeding.

Also I have seen an overheight FM tower with AM that had a detuning  skirt
with a sample loop in the middle of it with a remote control resonating
network. To reduce the efficiency of the AM radiation.

I believe WTMJ,  Milwaukee uses a sectionalized tower in the center of  its
array.  In day non-directional the tower is taller electrically, when
direction there used to be and RF contactor on the tower that cut loose the top
section.

Dave Hultsman