[BC] Hilmer Swanson has passed away

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri Jul 22 08:37:33 CDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005 at 12:12, Hershberger, Dave wrote:

> I just received this sad news from Geoff Mendenhall:
>
> Dear Friends of Hilmer:
>
> Carolyn called me a few minutes ago to tell me that Hilmer died peacefully
> this morning at 10:05 AM in the North Adams Nursing home near Quincy.
>
> The visitation is planned for Tuesday evening, 7/26/05 at the Hansen-Spear
> funeral home in Quincy, IL.   The funeral will be Wednesday 7/27/05 with
> details to follow.
>
> [Dave] - Hilmer was a brilliant engineer and I enjoyed working with him at
> Harris. He has many accomplishments that benefitted all of us. I am saddened
> to see him go.

I knew Hilmer briefly during my short time working for George Yazell
at Gates if Field Service.

In that end of the business it doesn't take long to see who the best
design engineers are, and they are the ones you talk to least. Gates
had some good engineers in those days, but Hilmer stood out above them
all. When he said something, it was right and when he built something,
it worked. For an engineer, that's not a bad legacy to leave behind.
We should all do so well. Hilmer was one of the last of the people
who built this business in the days when AM was king; and IMHO he
stood AT LEAST ten feet tall.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037