[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging

Lamar Owen lowen
Thu Jul 21 15:09:28 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 03:20, Phil Alexander wrote:
> Look at the contrast to what's happened with computer technology while
> radio has remained virtually static so far as the full system is concerned.

The rate of computer tech change is slowing.  As it must, as the systems
become bloated and too complex to maintain or improve.  There will come a
plateau, and it won't be a long way off.  If Moore's Law had held, we would
be running 5GHz PC's now.  But the speed isn't going up as quickly any more.
I mean, we've been stuck in the 3GHz range for how long now?

I know, Moore's law actually was about density.  But there comes a point where
you simply cannot get any more dense.  We're already in the sub nanometer
range on chip features; we can't get much more dense.

The same things happened in the early days of radio as is happening in the
early days of computers; there was a rapid flurry of improvement, and things
slowly went towards a plateau.

Seems Laplace was right about a lot of stuff.  Exponentials and sine waves;
everything is exponentials and sine waves.  Including business and technology
cycles.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology