[BC] Turntable arms

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Jul 21 10:13:02 CDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005 at 10:14, Milton R. Holladay Jr. wrote:

> I was talking about the Fairchild.
> But, yes, that's true of the RCAs. Who told you that ? I had to figure it
> out for myself................

You mean about speed switching or about the "gearing" that actually used
ball bearings?  Oh well ... the speed switch I figured out myself. The
bit about the gearing was from a friend of mine who helped convert some
70's back in the day and noticed the similarities. First station I worked
at had 4 of the 70's (B's or C' as I recall) made in 1948 so they had to
add the conversion kits and the planetaries were identical to the originals.
Two also had the lightweight RCA arms for LP's and 45's with the big heavy
ones with dual H/V heads for ET's. One of them had the acetate cutter
attachment.

Master control at Purdue/WBAA had direct drive Fairchilds with no 45
adapter. Again, two tone arms, but didn't need 45 because the only records
were 16" ET's and 12" LP's. They were much slower than the RCA's to come
up to speed and I learned all about careful slip cueing. <g> With a
classical format, however, a few seconds dead air was not a problem.
Winding up one the air - well, it wasn't done. At least I didn't do it
and AFAIK none of the other guys did - and kept their jobs. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037