[BC] Daylight Savings Time changes?

Scott Fybush scott
Thu Jul 21 09:17:28 CDT 2005

>The AM stations in the two states which don't are at a significant
>advantage over the stations in the surrounding states which do.
>
>They can be at high power for their morning shows and can  garnering
>additional revenue  which can include mponey from sponsors in the border
>states where stations must stay a low power.

This doesn't make sense (and being married to a Hoosier, I know a lot about
time zones that don't make sense!) --

If I have an AM station in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where DST is not observed
(though I know this changes next year), and you have an AM station in Van
Wert, Indiana, 30 miles away, where DST is observed, we both go to day
power/pattern at the SAME TIME, since that schedule goes by standard time
year-round. Yes, my clock says 6:30 and yours says 7:30 when we flip the
switch, but it's not like I get to go to day power at 6:30 your time while
you have to wait an extra hour.

PSRA may be another matter - I know it starts at 6 AM local time, but is
that local STANDARD time or local DST? If it's the latter, then the
stations on the DST side of the border get the advantage.

In practice, this turns out not to be much of an issue. Fort Wayne is the
largest border market on the Indiana/Ohio line, and Indiana gets DST next
year anyway. And there's very little of any economic consequence on the
AZ/NM border to be an issue.