[BC] Bye bye Analog in 2009

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Jul 20 22:50:54 CDT 2005

------ At 09:52 PM 7/20/2005, Mark Durenberger wrote: -------

>My question is: How can the NAB mandate this for the industry (that
>they so poorly represent?)

There are many TV broadcasters on their board. There seems to have
been a change of heart now that they see DTV sets flying off the
shelves and additional channels available. In my market every station
I can receive off the air (except Sinclair's WGGB-TV with no HD at
all) are running at least 1 HD and 1 SD channel, usually their
doppler weather maps on the SD channel. WGBY (PBS) is running 4
channels during the day and 1 HD, 1 SD nights and weekends. So far
only one DTV channel per station is being carried by the Comcast
systems. Charter (the one I'm blessed with) runs no local HD. Well,
maybe one. It's FOX from Hartford reformatted from 4:3 to 16:9. It's
actually SD with people's heads scrunched. Everyone looks fat.

>The National Association of Broadcasters agreed Tuesday to stop
>transmitting analog TV signals in 2009, potentially rendering
>millions of rabbit-eared sets obsolete.  The broadcasters have long
>resisted a federal mandate to switch to digital signals.  Advocates
>say digital technology will allow crisp pictures, vibrant colors and
>clear sound while freeing billions of dollars worth of broadcast
>spectrum. But the transition might mean junking outdated sets.

The original analog drop dead date was 2006. They got a 3 year
extension or until 85% of the country can receive HD. How they arrive
at that figure is being debated. The gummint wants to include cable
as well as over the air. With the current deficit, waste and list of
countries to be invaded growing they need the extra cash from the
auctions fast.

>Most current TV sets won't receive over-the-air digital signals
>without a special adapter, expected to cost $50 to $75. The next big
>debate: Whether the government should subsidize that cost with the
>windfall it's expected to reap when it auctions off unused frequencies.

Most HD sets have no HD tuners in them. I had to buy a separate
tuner. I'm waiting for stations to bring their DTV signals up to the
digital equivalent of analog. It's now agonizing to orient an
antenna. I had to be rescued by the fire department when I tried to
install a replacement antenna on the roof of an old Victorian house.
I hadn't calculated that the pitch of a Victorian roof is much
steeper than a newer house. Never use an aluminum ladder on a very
high roof. I can walk the catwalks of the World Trade Center and the
Empire State building but can't seem to manage a country house. I
made the local paper (circulation 12). This whole process will bring
back nostalgic memories of UHF converter boxes and keep fire
department rescue crews busy.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia