[BC] good ole boxes

Clive Warner clive
Wed Jul 20 19:54:54 CDT 2005

>From Rich:
>I do remember the Continental at XTRA having occasional problems with
>the Mexican and generator power. Something to do with magnaphase.

You can't get much more extreme than a 160-foot ship turning on anchor in a
force eight gale and a one-sixty-foot cage-fed mast, and diesels fed by
tanks that are rolling plus and minus thirty degrees.
Input volts were 440V nominal dropping to 180V with each roll.
That was a Continental 317C running 50KW (only at 440V!)  in those
conditions.
The Magnaphase unit was damn brilliant, the antenna insulators were under
seawater spray and as soon as they started to corona the magnaphase would
selectively reduce power and quench the arc. Much of the time it could do
that without the listener even noticing. I would pick a Magnaphase for
transmitter protection anytime.
(Usual disclaimers)
- Clive