[BC] NRSC-5

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Wed Jul 20 11:31:20 CDT 2005

I have to ask if "Eddie boy" Fritz has a numbered bank account in Switzerland
with Ibiquity $$ flowing into it...

Talk about shills! In these comments. the NAB sounds like it's sole
purpose is to lobby for Ibiquity!

The irony is that for at least the next 5-10 years, this system WILL make
radio WORSE, not better!

And it may kill AM all together....

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Ernie Belanger" <armtx at mhcable.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] NRSC-5

The problem here is that NAB is playing directly into the hands of iBiquity
with their keenly crafted plan. (someone on a list once said these guys were
snake oil salesman here is your proof)

They have a shill go to the commission like CPB with Tomorrow radio and now
NAB pushing for adoption of the HD Radio as the standard.

In this way they make it appear that everyone wants it and they appear to be
arms length. The white knoghts on their steed coming to the rescue of radio
(for the potential of making a few hundred million $ of course).

Here is how the rest plays out.

If the FCC adopts this as THE digital standard. But they do not mandate that
all stations begin broadcasting in digital by a set date then it is a
voluntary standard not a mandatory standard.

So if an when stations get around to broadcasting digital, they will have to
use this standard and pay all the royalties to iBiquity that iBiquity wants.

But no one is going to force stations to broadcast in digital. So the
government in essence sets up a monopoly for iBiquity but since it is not
mandating digital broadcast they are not "actually" setting us a monopoly
because no one is forced to play.

Lets split those hairs into a few more microns of pieces shall we!

What the industry should do is push for a mandated digital date. This would
blow iBiquities whole plan. They then couldn't charge royalties becaue the
system would be mandated.

Lets beat them at their own game.... push for the mandate to broadcast in
digital by a set date and avoid the royalties!!!!!!