[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging (was: IBOC)

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 20 05:47:33 CDT 2005

On 15 Jul 2005 at 20:30, Robert Orban wrote:

> If NTSC was "not that good compared to what could have been done" in 1953,
> then what, pray tell, was the correct solution? ("Component" is not an
> acceptable answer because the technology to bring that to consumers in a
> practical way via lossy digital coding in a 6 MHz bandwdith was about 40
> years in the future in 1953.)

At the time UHF was in its infancy. The number of channels was far greater
than needed. The problem was catering to the legacy b&w sets. Color might
have gone to UHF in greater bandwidth. PAL would have been useful also.
We might have had a system transmitting 750-800 lines in color. I don't
argue the fact that the fundamentals of the NTSC system were well conceived
for that day, but additional bandwidth and a shift to UHF would have made
a better system IMHO. However, the General wanted to sell a TV transmitter
and studio gear to every radio station in the country.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037