[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 20 02:27:42 CDT 2005

On 19 Jul 2005 at 20:26, Kent kwinrich at wi.rr.com wrote:

> Phil Alexander wrote:
>

> >Perhaps there may be others, but the case can be made that
> >present day AM radio technology is one of the oldest still in general use
> >with very few changes since its inception.
> >There is no question that print media has modernized more.
>
> Oh I dont know Phil.  Look at how AM is modulated/transmitted these
> days.  A far cry from years ago.

Yes, that's similar to the change from the type box to Lin-O-Type slugs.
Of course, the type box was a big advance over wood block, and we've
left the Lin-O-Type far behind in the past 50 years.

PDM/PWM is a big advance in modulation technique, adding a digital aspect
to analog, and we have hard drives rather than carts, all courtesy of
solid state. I suppose you could also say there is quite a bit of digital
in most of the analog consoles too. And, we use ISDN for remotes, but AM
and FM have been the same since their respective inceptions while print has
gone from letterpress to molded plate rotary to offset rotary.

Look at the contrast to what's happened with computer technology while
radio has remained virtually static so far as the full system is concerned.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037