[BC] Allocation Philosophies - Was: KKGM

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 20 02:06:14 CDT 2005

On 19 Jul 2005 at 19:32, Tom Bosscher wrote:

> PeterH5322 at aol.com wrote:
>  >(remember, FM has channels, too)
>
>     Peter, I've oftened wonder why some newly formatted station doesn't
> go with their channel number, as a secondary reinforcement to their
> frequency. I know, I know the consultants would tell you that 88.1 can
> be found on any car radio, whereas Channel 201 cannot.

Tom,

AM doesn't have that problem. Nearly every station does use its channel,
often (nearly always) without realizing it.

Sec.  73.14   AM broadcast definitions.

   AM broadcast channel. The band of frequencies occupied by the carrier
   and the upper and lower sidebands of an AM broadcast signal with the
   carrier frequency at the center.

 **Channels are designated by their assigned carrier frequencies.**

   etc. etc.

So you see we've been doing it all along. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037