[BC] Turntable arms

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 19 16:27:23 CDT 2005

------ At 04:51 PM 7/19/2005, Jeff Johnson wrote: -------

>I had a KIT Gary viscous damped tone arm in college in 1962.
>Remember Empire cartridges?? Sorry I sold my original AR turntable.
>Very pretty.

My first turntable was an AR with a Shure M44 cartridge. Simple
elegance. I sold stereo equipment in Harvard Square. I upgraded to an
Empire. I lived in Cambridge, so I had to buy local. Also had an AR
integrated amp with AR-3A speakers. The amp replaced an HH Scott unit
and my tuner was the HH Scott with the round lighted dial. I finally
replaced the tuner with the Marantz model just below the 10B. I
recall spending hours at Tweeter where all the famous folks went.
Henry Kloss, Roy Allison and other names I've forgotten would use it
as a coffee house to talk shop. I worked for a competitor up the
street, Minute Man Radio. If they had known I was consorting with the
enemy they would have fired me.

>Nostalgia - not! An LP seemed to end at just the wrong romantic
>moment. Bought a Dual changer to cure that.

I never had a changer. Too much of an audiophile snob. I found
Classical music usually solved the problem.

>iPod's just don't seem romantic. No glowing KT-88's.

iPods are just utility. Nothing you can build a relationship with.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084