Modified mobiles -- was RE: [BC] Police stations (MW)

Rockwell Smith rockwell
Tue Jul 19 16:24:12 CDT 2005

I think it was an 80D that I modified years ago. If I recall it
started out with a 2E26 final, dynamotor HV supply that ran a couple
hundred volts or so in the original configuration with about 30 or
so watts output.  After some changes and a 6146 final, different
dynamotor for about 500 volts it tuned up to about 150 watts.
We backed it down to about 125w to keep it from overheating and had
a useful duty cycle for remote broadcasts.  You never keyed it up
unless the engine was running, and unless you stepped up the idle
it would kill the engine when it was keyed.  Fused with an 80 amp
cartridge fuse.  We used it as a back-up to our Marti and also would
use it when 30 watts wasn't quite enough to quiet the receiver.

The audio was never quite as good as the Marti, but very adequate
for a remote broadcast.

-- Rockwell