[BC] Turntable arms

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Tue Jul 19 14:54:24 CDT 2005

On 19 Jul 2005 at 14:17, Milton R. Holladay Jr. wrote:

> Ah, yes, Rich; that would be the Fairchild 750s, with the 36 pound platter
> (got a pair). With a new belt and cleaning, they would come up  to sped in a
> quarter turn, but belt life was very poor. (Also have two older models; the
> two speed worm drive model is much smoother than the next model  after it
> which had gear and belt drive.)

It's the older one I first encountered at WBAA. Two speed direct drive
33-1/3 and 78.26 only. Of course at that station there was no need for 45. <g>

> Actually, the RCA model 70 C or D were a tad heavier built than the
> Fairchilds (I gave two 70Cs to the state museum where they're displayed in
> the broadcast booth with the RCA 250D xmtr. Gave away two 70Ds to friends,
> also.)

Get your finger stuck in the shifter at the edge of the platter
and you wouldn't try shifting on the fly again. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037