[BC] Turntable arms

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 18 20:36:53 CDT 2005

------ At 08:08 PM 7/18/2005, Phil Alexander wrote: -------

> > I remember them being referred to as "vicious-damped."
>
>Good one David. They were vicious if the record had
>any warpage at all.

My first station used them. It was a very hard decision whether to
use your last quarter to buy a Coke (long time ago) or save it for
use as a precision weight for warped records. For LPs you could use a
nickel because of the slower speed. With the damping and without the
weight the arm would stay in mid air and wait for the record to meet
it again on its next revolution.

I think someone once told me about using an auto shock absorber to
keep it in contact with a warped disk. Seemed like overkill. I never
had to use more than a 50 cent piece. I can imagine seeing an
engineer with a bouncing car leaving that station.

Rich