[BC] Turntable arms

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 18 20:23:57 CDT 2005

------ At 08:05 PM 7/18/2005, Phil Alexander wrote: -------

>A good choice if you mean the CB-500, but don't forget about the
>16" Rec-O-Kut and the 16" Fairchild. The Fairchild was direct
>drive and built like a battleship - make that a HEAVY battleship -
>Iowa class. That TT is one of the reasons God invented slip cueing.

At WJIB(FM) Boston we used the belt driven Fairchilds with Shure SME
arms and Shure V-15 Type II cartridges. I'm convinced the platters
were made of laminated manhole covers. Surprisingly our audio was so
good we could hear the belt seams as they passed the drive pulley.
We'd buy spares and use the smoothest ones. Fortunately you could
stop them in time to cue the next record.

Rich