[BC] Turntable arms

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Mon Jul 18 15:58:41 CDT 2005

>From: Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com>
>Subject: RE: [BC] Turntable arms
>Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:15:47 -0400
>
>------ At 02:45 PM 7/18/2005, Jerry Mathis wrote: -------
>
>God intended Gray tone arms to be installed on Gates 16" turntables with GE
>cartridges. I'm surprised a Shure M44-7 would survive installation in a
>Gray.

They actually didn't, very well. I always hated those flimsy Shure styli. If
a new one survived 24 hours without being bent-over backwards during
back-cueing, it was a miracle. Then we'd straighten it out and use it until
it was worn-out.

When I had the say-so in later years, I purchased and installed Stanton
cartridges and styli. Don't remember the model #'s now, but they were
rugged, and survived almost anything.

It used to be such fun playing that NAB Test Record and recording the
frequency response of the system.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS