[BC] OOOOOOOps

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Sun Jul 17 12:04:12 CDT 2005

Tommy Gray wrote:
> One of our clusters just got a new OM last week.  He went to gas up our
> VW bug that is the station vehicle for one if the FMs.  He told me he
> got two blocks from the gas  station before to started knocking and
died.
> It cost $800 to fix it.  He said he just filled it up with unleaded???
> Guess what......It was a diesel!
>
> It wasn't marked either....!

Volkswagen TDIs don't have a "Diesel Fuel Only" emblem on the dashboard,
but there is one inside the fuel filler door -- in several languages, too.
Come to think of it, none of the diesel cars I've owned (one Audi, two
Mercedes, and two VW's so far) has been marked as such on the dashboard,
even though all gassers still say "Unleaded Fuel Only" on the dash, many
years after all the gas stations stopped selling leaded gasoline.

Anyway, among TDI owners, there are many stories of gas station attendants
who try to warn them against "mistakenly" filling up with diesel (see
http://tinyurl.com/7nec4 ) -- but there are hardly any stories of people
who are warned before putting gasoline into a TDI, perhaps because today's
TDIs don't look or sound like your typical Cummins Diesel or 20-year-old
Mercedes 300D.